There is something about summer that makes me crave Mexican food. All the fresh tomatoes, and herbs make me want to make fresh pico de gallo all the time and put it on everything!
Lately Mike and I have been having our own "Taco Tuesday" night and have been making some incredible tacos that are both healthy and satisfying. But they are nothing without a perfect pico de gallo.
When I was living in Guatemala I was spoiled by the most incredible pico de gallo I have ever had. We put it on everything, fresh homemade tortilla, mixed with avocado, my friends would add it to their chicken, or we would just eat it as a side-dish right out of the bowl. While I don't think it is quite possible for me to ever truly create the perfect pico de gallo I had in Guatemala, I have been working hard to come up with a version that I can say is absolutely delicious, and almost perfect.
The "Perfect" Pico de Gallo
- 3 Garden Vine Ripened Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro
- 2 small limes (juiced)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped and seeded (omit if you don't like spicy food)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Finely chop all ingredients, and juice two limes
- Add about 1/2 tsp of sea salt to mixture
- Combine together in a bowl and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before serving.